Some Dojos secure funding from businesses e.g. IT companies, in their local community. Some businesses may be able to provide assistance to Dojos as part of their CSR program or other community initiatives. There are also Dojos that have been able to secure either funding or direct donations of products/services from corporate patrons. This could be anything from the cost of insurance or a software package all the way up to a number of old computers! The letter below is aimed towards a professional audience and can be adapted accordingly.
Subject: Funding for our CoderDojo
I am in the process of establishing a free after-school coding club for young people in our community, as part of the CoderDojo movement.
CoderDojo is a global, volunteer-led movement that organises free computer clubs for young people aged 7–17. There are more than 1600 clubs (Dojos) operating all over the world, creating opportunities for young people to explore technology and learn how to code. CoderDojo gives young people confidence, new friends, and valuable skills for the future, and it can open up new avenues for children who might not otherwise have such learning opportunities. You can find out more at coderdojo.com.
[A sentence about the Dojo looking for support, include where it runs, how often and how many young people are part of it.]
Dojos are organised, run, and mentored by volunteers, and since CoderDojo’s inception, all Dojos have been completely free and open to all young people who wish to attend. In order to allow this, Dojos have relied on the generous support of the communities in which they run. As such, we are reaching out to you in the hope that you will help us to continue [insert why you require sponsorship].
Supporting [Dojo Name] is a great opportunity for [Company Name] to get involved and give back to our local community.
There are several ways in which your organisation can help us:
- In-kind contribution: This can be, for example, allowing the use of your facility to host a Dojo, or donating old equipment to support our CoderDojo.
- Fiscal support: A monetary donation to cover specific or general Dojo costs (e.g. to cover insurance costs).
- Provision of technical volunteers (mentors): To assist the young people during Dojo sessions.
There are many benefits for you in supporting our local CoderDojo:
- Your logo will be featured on our page on the CoderDojo Foundation website.
- Your logo and details will be featured on our Dojo’s website and social media.
- You will be able to reference your support of a growing global initiative that is supporting the digital creators of the future in your newsletters, publications, reports etc.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you are interested in getting involved and supporting our Dojo, please contact me at [Dojo email address].
Champion, CoderDojo [Dojo name]