Mentoring/volunteering is a rewarding and fun way to become involved in the CoderDojo movement and to support young people in your local area. CoderDojo is an almost entirely volunteer-led movement and very much relies on the time, efforts, and skills of its dedicated community!
Mentoring provides volunteers with a host of valuable new skills and experiences:
- Local community and youth work: Mentoring will give volunteers experience of working with young people while helping out and giving back to their local community.
- Communication skills: Interaction with young people and other Dojo members allows volunteers to develop their communication skills.
- Networking: Volunteers will have the opportunity to expand their network and form contacts with IT professionals.
- Develop programming skills: Volunteers’ technical skills will be fostered, as each Dojo covers several programming languages from beginner to advanced levels.
- Professional development: Many companies recognise CoderDojo volunteering as a great addition to a job applicant’s professional development. Some companies that have worked directly with CoderDojo are Microsoft, Salesforce, Accenture, Riot Games, Deloitte, and Thomson Reuters.
Find a video illustrating what volunteering at a Dojo is like here.