This is intended for use by Dojos and volunteers of CoderDojo to give guidance on 'What's cool?' with regards to communication. These are guidelines are from the CoderDojo Foundation. This policy can be used as is or adapted for use in your Dojo.
As a general rule, volunteers should not private message young people in the Dojo on any of their personal social media platforms. Below are some guidelines for specific social media platforms referring to personal accounts. We understand that the type of use of social media platforms varies from country to country so you may wish to adapt these or add additional platforms if they are popular in your region.
- Do not communicate one to one with young people under 18.
- Always include a parent/guardian on the cc when communicating with young people under 18.
- Where you do not have a parent’s contact information, respond seeking this information and cc another volunteer or your Champion.
- Always bcc mailing lists so you do not give out personal emails of parents or young people to others on the list.
- Should not be friends with young people from the Dojo on Facebook.
- Can maintain a Facebook group for the Dojo and communicate in this group setting (i.e. not one on one) for purposes of organising a Dojo or helping with projects.
- Should not direct message young people on Facebook; this can be explained to young people and parents in person in the Dojo.
- Can follow young people from the Dojo where appropriate (e.g. to support their CoderDojo endeavours, where you know their parent is aware of their account).
- Should not direct message young people on Twitter; this can be explained to young people and parents in person in the Dojo.
- Can connect with young people from the Dojo on LinkedIn.
- Should not direct message young people on LinkedIn, can be explained to young people and parents in person in the Dojo.
- Should not message young people one on one on WhatsApp.
- Should not be friends with young people from the Dojo on Snapchat
- Should not ‘snap’ (photo or video) of a young person on your personal snapchat where photo consent/permission has not been sought out.
- Can follow (where appropriate, e.g. when related to CoderDojo) or be followed by young people on Instagram
- Should not direct message young people from the Dojo on Instagram.